As we close the books on 2011, some quick takes on our last year of racing:
- We won on the road in every Men’s Cat this year for the second time in 3 seasons. Outside of us and xXx (a MUCH larger team), it is unlikely any area team could say the same. If you factor in that we won masters races on the road or dirt in 35+ 4/5, 30+, 40+, 50+ and 60+, Junior’s races in Girl’s 15-18 and a Women’s 4′s race, it is likely the most widely-successful season this team has ever seen. And, that does note even count Baby Swims crushing the competition in the kid’s race at the Fall Fling.
- We won several season-long series including crowns by Bryan Fuller (Illinois Cup Masters 4/5), John Craychee (Chicago Cyclocross Cup 60+), and Katie Paradis (pictured above, Chicago Cyclocross Cup Junior Girls 15-18).
- We earned a state championship on both the road (Matt Haiduk - ABR 30+) and on the dirt (Paradis - Chicago Cyclocross Cup Junior Girls 15-18).
- We graduated 4 riders from Cat 4 to Cat 3 by mid-year (Eric Christ, PFK, Justin Somerville, Andy Swims).
- The team won at least one race in each of March, April, May, July, August, September, October, November and December.
- Notable year-end rankings (according to USA Cycling) include: John Craychee ending the year ranked first in 60+ for cyclocross, and 3rd in the State for crits; and Mara Baltabols ranked 2nd in the State (49th of 1236 nationally) for Cat 4 crits in her first year of road racing.
It was a good year by all accounts. Next year is going to be even better.